Since the historial Buddha Sakyamuni time, offering of light has great significance. This light clears the darkness of ignorance which in turn result in the arising of wisdom. Those who are familiar with Buddha’s life story will recall the lamp offered by the poor old lady. She had no money to buy oil for the lamp, so she cut her own hair in exchange for the oil. This lamp offered by her sincerely outshines all the other lamps. Even the wind caused by devadatta’s dark magic was unable to extinguish the lamp.
10 benefits of light offering expounded by Buddha Shakyamuni:
1) One receives great enjoyment of wealth.
2) One becomes like the light of the world.
3) One achieves clairvoyance of the pure eye as a human.
4) One is reborn as a deva or as a human.
5) One achieves the devas’ eye.
6) One achieves the wisdom to discriminate virtue from non-virtue.
7) One is able to eliminate the concept of inherent existence.
8) One receives the illumination of wisdom.
9) One quickly becomes liberated.
10) One quickly attains enlightenment
We can offer light either for oneself or on behalf of another person for the following purposes:
1) To remove obstacles and sufferings
2) To remove illness from a sick person
3) To dispel dark magic and evil spirits
4) To pray for long life
5) To provide a light path for the decease
Lights are available for sponsoring at Sakya Tenphel Ling as and when available. Kindly check our News and Announcements page for updates.